Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I just got a puppy today, she has worms, taking her to the

Customer Question

Customer: ***** ***** and I just got a puppy today, she has worms, taking her to the vet tomorrow but I'm concerned because I didnt realize until after a few naps she took today and now I'm fearing the eggs all over
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: No I've just been ridding the worms and eggs by flushing them everytime I find them under her tail as she sleeps right now
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 12 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Now I appreciate it won't be nice to be seeing worms from your little one or worrying about it getting in the house. Though I would note that any eggs being passed will likely be in stool and therefore easy for you to clean up and get rid of. As well, any worms you see are not a real worry for you or your home since they cannot live without their host (your pup) and therefore will die away from her. So, they won't be lingering around the house.

Still in this case, we have 2 options to address this situation. First and the ideal option would be to treat her for worms as soon as possible. As long as you have a weight, her vet should be happy to dispense these for you now. Otherwise, you can obtain wormers from the pet store to use. That way you will get her treated and clear as quickly as possible.

If that isn't possible, then you can consider isolating her to one area. Ideally, it should be non-carpeted and easy to clean. That way you don't have to worry about house contamination and can just clean the area once you are back from having her wormed at the vets.

Overall, worms are very common in puppies (they are mum's parting gift). Though if we want to be as hygienic as possible, then we can take the above steps to get her sorted as quickly as possible and keep the house clean.

All the best,

Dr. B.