Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Our dog seems to have been poisoned,its midnight no vet at

Customer Question

our dog seems to have been poisoned,its midnight no vet at this hour ,what can I do.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you at the time you posted your question. If you do still need aid, can you tell me:

What signs are you seeing with Sammie?

How much charcoal did you give?

Any changes to her breathing?

Are her gums pink or pale/white?

Any belly pain?

Any idea of what toxin may have been involved?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1560 mgs charcoal , breathing is calm, does not show belly pain, gums are dark pink, I don't know toxin, I think some one threw it from a car, very fast acting ,she cannot walk or stand,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
did you receive this message?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you (I did receive it),

Is that a usual shade of pink for her or darker then usual?

Did you mean milligrams or grams (since we tend to dose in grams)?

How much does she weigh (so I can work out the charcoal dose for her)?

How long after exposure did you administer the charcoal? Was she already showing signs?

Is she currently not standing despite the treatment?

If she is down, is it because she is wobbly? Or is it because she cannot physically move her legs?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
in milligrams , weights 125 pounds ,still cannot stand , seems to be resting better , we did not understand the problem until late ,we thought she got hit by a car , until she could not get up dumb owners , must have been six or so hours before we realized what it was.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think her gums are darker than normal
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
correction only 720 milligrams charcoal
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

Well, to be fair, trauma can make dogs reluctant or unable to rise. So, no one was dumb at all. Though if you can tell me whether she is able to move those back legs just now (or feel them if you give her back toe a pinch), that would be appreciated.

Otherwise, I would note that even if it was late, activated charcoal can be of benefit up to 8 hours post toxic ingestion. So, it was still of benefit. That said, the dose you gave was much too small. We actually dose this in grams as I mentioned and the minimum dose we'd use for a dog this size is 125g. So, we'd need to keep giving more of what you have on hand or see your local pharmacy or ER vet for the high strength version.

That all said, getting back to her signs and lack of response to treatment. Further to adjusting the activated charcoal dose, if she isn't showing any improvement, has dark gums (which we can see in toxicity cases where the drug binds red blood cells) or seems mentally dull as time goes on, we'd really be best to have her to the local vet. The reason is because when we have unknown intoxications like this it can really be of benefit to get them onto IV fluids. This is because these can help flush the drug from their system quicker and reduce the risks of harm. So, that would be ideal here with her current state.

Dr. B.