Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog is just a week out from having parvo she is 1 1/2

Customer Question

My dog is just a week out from having parvo she is 1 1/2 years old generally very healthy she was my big eater, I have noticed the lady and stayed few days she acts like she has vertigo or is drunk she can't hardly walk and eating is tough as well. Is it possible she has had a stroke and what realistic expectation for her recovery.possibly some miles stones to look.forward ass rd to.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you at the time you posted your question. Still, if you would like some aid in this situation, can you tell me:

When did these signs start? Have they been present during her treatment or are they new?

What treatments is she still on?

Does she have a head tilt or any circling?

Any vomiting?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is over the parvo 2 weeks Thursday, a few days maybe 3 days ago I noticed this when she tries to walk she goes sideways eventually falling over,and her head bobs no vomiting cannot pick food off floor
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

Based on the signs you are reporting, we do have some concerns here for Coco. It is possible that we have an unrelated middle ear infection, protozoal brain infection, or vestibular issue (though usually something we see with older dogs). Still, given the recent Parvo situation, we'd be concerned that we could have a bacterial or viral based brain infection or possible damage to the brain from her recent viral infection (ie infarction, clot, inflammation, or bleed).

Therefore, with all this in mind, we do need to consider having her reassessed by her vet at this point. You didn't mention any current treatments but we'd want to be considering an anti-nausea treatment if she is struggling to eat with the dizziness, +/- further antibiotics and anti-inflammatories to rule out as much of the above for her as possible.

Overall this is a concerning turn of events if she has just recovered from what is a terrible viral infection in dogs. Still, with her recent immune system depletion with the Parvo, opportunistic infections are a real worry here. Especially if her immune system hasn't had much time to recover from the Parvo and thus leaving her quite vulnerable. So, we would want to have her reassessed now, since if we can clear secondary issues then she has a good prognosis for full recovery from everything she has faced.

Please take care,

Dr. B.