Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

Is a dog with auto immundisease contagious? Is there another

Customer Question

Is a dog with auto immundisease contagious? Is there another reason why a dog in the same household could get sick?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am so sorry you lost a pet to an auto immune disease. This is not contagious, it is a disease process where the body stops recognizing its own cells and attacks them. For example immune mediated hemolytic anemia or immune mediated thrombocytopenia. This pet would be more prone to other diseases since their own immune system is not healthy but it is not something that your Lola would be able to contract.

If she is showing similar symptoms it would be strongly advised to have her evaluated by your veterinarian to ensure that there is no treatment needed to control progression of her issue, especially so soon after losing another pet to that dreaded immune mediated condition

Please let me know how else I can assist you both tonight

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I am online another 30 minutes tonight if you have any additional questions. Otherwise I will return tomorrow if you do respond after I exit this evening

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!