Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

My dog has been leaking urine when laying down 2 months.

Customer Question

Hi, My dog has been leaking urine when laying down for about 2 months. Blood tests were done and nothing was found. She was taking Proin but that did not help. Now she throws up at least once a day no matter what the diet. My Vet wants to do drug tests and i'm not sure I want to do that. Dog is 11 yr old yellow lab.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

I am so sorry Holly is having these issues. I am not certain the urinary leakage is linked to the vomiting, but this is certainly possible. It may take a bit more testing to separate out if it is linked or not. The trial with Proin sounds appropriate if her urinalysis was normal. And by blood tests I assume she had a complete CBC ,chemistry profile and thyroid check which was all fine.

Did she have X-rays? If not, then these are the definite next step. We are screening her primarily for any sort of intestinal foreign object which may be trapped in her system or bladder/kidney stones/calculi or cancer/tumor. If this is normal and a trial with antiemetic medication does not resolve the problem then endoscopy to view her stomach is necessary as this makes me worried about a primary stomach or upper small intestinal lesion/issue (such as ulceration or tumor or atypical infection). An abdominal ultrasound may also be useful if anything odd is seen on the X-rays or even if not because in the hands of an experienced clinician, this can reveal a tremendous amount about her intestinal tract and abdominal organs. However, I would advocate do the radiographs (X-rays) first.

Have you tried anything yet to help with the vomiting? If not, a starting point you can do at home without expecting any side effects is to use over-the-counter famotidine (20mg twice daily). You can get this (Pepcid AC) at any pharmacy for people.

I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please let me know if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.