Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

My dog was prescribed Posatex Ear Drops ear infection. He's

Customer Question

My dog was prescribed Posatex Ear Drops for an ear infection. He's a 90 lb Black Lab and the medication instructions read to put 8 drops in each ear. It was difficult to tell how many drops were going in and I'm concerned that I put more into each ear. Is this dangerous?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** and I've been a veterinarian for 15 years. Thank you for your question. This medication isn't really one that there is a worry for "over medicating". The number of drops are a general recommendation. Less may not fully treat the issues in the ear and excess would be wasteful. So it really is more of an issue if not enough is aplied to correctly treat the underlying disease / issue going on.

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

The danger with this treatment is more along the lines of sensitivity issues and if the ear drum isn't intact. Ideally the ear drum is visualized prior to starting the medications by your vet.