Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

My 12 year old german shepherd is barely walking, although

Customer Question

my 12 year old german shepherd is barely walking, although this has happened the last year or so, she can't go up stairs anymore, etc. but now its her front left leg and we are wondering if it could be dislocated.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 12 months ago.

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

I am so sorry to hear Nellie is experiencing this. A dislocation of the elbow is certainly possible, but this is rare and usually there would be a traumatic incident (like a fall) to have caused it. Dislocations of the front limbs are quite rare in dogs. What is more likely is there is a primary orthopedic issue such as arthritis she exacerbated by slipping or moving in an odd way or a sprain/strain or an infection or even a bone tumor. Given how uncomfortable she is, the absolute best for her would be to take her in on emergency to be seen today. After an examination she probably needs some X-rays (radiographs) to narrow down the exact problem. Then appropriate medications can be prescribed to get her comfortable.

I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please let me know if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.