Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

I have a bunny who is not standing and her head is turning

Customer Question

I have a bunny who is not standing and her head is turning to the side. She seems to be breathing heavier than usual. She is about 6 years old. She has not been out of the cage in a few days but it seems maybe she broke her back due to the way her hind leg is not under her as always.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am very sorry to hear about your bunny. You say her head is turning to the side, is this the only way she is holding her head? Can you take a photo of her?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My scanner is not working.
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

It is possible that your bunny has sustained a back injury if she is unable to use her hind legs. It is also possible she is suffering from vestibular disease, or torticollis. I have attached a link to an article below here on the condition:

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=485

Some causes of this condition are a bacterial ear infection that may respond to antibiotic treatment. The only way to tell if this is the case though would be to get her in to the vet for an exam, because I cannot tell without examining her what is going on. With torticollis, we can see severe cases where the head is turned severely sideways and the rabbit is unable to stand,so it is possible based on your description that this is what is going on with your bunny.

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. If you do not, please take a moment to rate our conversation so we can know if you are satisfied with your response and I can get credit for helping you today. Thank you and best of luck!

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Were you able to open the link I sent?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am asking you because all the vets in my area that treat bunnies are closed. I have already gone that route. yes
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately, as you might imagine, I cannot diagnose her without examining her, and there isn't any treatment I can offer you without an exam other than that you provide supportive care for her until you are able to take her in for an exam. Supportive care for her will basically mean trying to get food and water into her if she isn't able to do this herself. You may need to use a syringe or dropper to get water into her, and hand feed her the hay and pellets she would normally eat- or if she won't take food that way, use a blender to make a slurry of pellets and water that you can syringe feed her. I am sorry there isn't anything else I can recommend for you without her being seen, as the problems she could potentially have do not have any at home/over the counter treatments. I realize it must be frustrating!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
bunny died in my arms
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

I am so sorry to hear this. It is always difficult to lose a pet, especially when you feel helpless and don't have anything you can do for them. You are in my thoughts.