Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I have a toy Meki. She was at the vet wk. during

Customer Question

I have a toy Meki. She was at the vet for a wk. during Thanksgiving. Seemed fine when I picked her up. Last two days she has been lethargic, her eyes are bright and not cloudy,
she just wants to sleep all day. She can't just up on the bed anymore, I have to lift her.
She is still eating but I have to coax her and mix people food with her dogfood. Should I take her to the vet??
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Truffle's symptoms of lethargy, somnolence, and difficulty jumping up are important symptoms but they're not pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of any one specific disorder. I do become concerned that a 7 year old miniature dog's back is hurting when jumping up becomes difficult. Intervertebral disk disease (a "slipped disk") is the most common cause of back pain in these dogs. To answer you directly, yes, I'd like Truffles's vet to take a look at Truffles and pay particular attention to Truffles's spine. Palpating her spine for areas of hyperpathia (increased sensitivity) suggestive of a disk is important.

Supportive evidence of a disk includes vocalizing when approached or lifted, shaking/trembling (pain responses), a change in posture - holding the neck stiffly and/or head lower to the ground or a "hunch" in the back, and a change in behavior - a normally social dog becoming reclusive or, conversely, a normally aloof dog becoming "clingy".

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.