Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian
88695179

My doxi cannot use her rear legs

Customer Question

My doxi cannot use her rear legs
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I am very sorry to hear that Trixye is having these problems this evening. Based on your description, I would be extremely worried that she has blown a disk in her back that damaged her spinal cord and is causing her to be paralyzed. This is a medical emergency and I would strongly consider taking her to your local animal emergency room as soon as possible. This can also be very painful so she may need some very strong pain medication.

What happens is that the disks in the spinal column (they are the cushions between the back bones) become hard and dry. This leads them to be able to crack and break easily pushing pieces up into the spinal cord and causing damage. Depending on the severity, many dogs will require emergency surgery to remove the piece or risk permanent paralysis.

Here is a link about disk disease in dogs including some great pictures:

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=3223

Two other less common possibilities include a blood clot in the spinal cord or cancer in the cord.

Does this help? Do you have any more questions?

Dr. Amanda

Kansas State University,

College of Veterinary Medicine Class of 2001

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

How is Trixye this evening? Were you able to take her to the vet today? How are her rear legs? Do you have any more questions for me?

If you are satisfied with my assistance, please take a moment to use the stars at the top of the page to rate my answer so that I will be compensated for helping you today. For future questions, you can find me here: http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=88695179&FID=0

Best regards,

Dr. Amanda