Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My dog just ate 70 pills of levothyroxine 0.05 mg

Customer Question

my dog just ate 70 pills of levothyroxine 0.05 mg
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello Mary,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again Mary

I have worked out an answer for you ...

1. This is quite a lot of Levothyroxine for a small dog like a Sheltie and this amount could put your dog at risk. One of the best things you can do in this sort of situation is to make your dog sick immediately and try recover the drug that way, If you can do this within the first hour after ingestion then things should be OK . For the sake of speed I will give you a link on how to do this best : LINK

{ Also be aware that an ER vet will be able to quickly induce vomiting with prescription drugs }

2. However if you fail to induce vomiting or if any odd symptoms occur then you should have your dog checked over by a vet without delay. In your case expected side effects would include hyperactivity, increased heart rate and tremors.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again Mary,

I am just checking back in to see how Molly is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the Levothyroxine incident...

How are things going?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.