Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

I think my dog ate deer poop and now she is gagging,

Customer Question

I think my dog ate deer poop and now she is gagging, wheezing and throwing up white foamy mucus, she is anxious and pacing and I don't know what to do.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm really sorry to hear that Coco isn't feeling well tonight. I'll do my best to help. There will be a delay of 5-10 minutes while I type out some thoughts for you. You can reply with more thoughts or questions at any time.

~Dr. Sara

Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

When I see dogs that are suddenly vomiting but acting relatively normally otherwise, the first couple of things I consider are infectious diseases (think stomach flu), dietary issues (I ate something that didn't agree with me) or foreign body obstructions (I ate something that's blocking my GI tract). These can range from mild things that they get over on their own, up to surgical emergencies. I know that Coco is NOT acting normally right now, and this concerns me greatly. An older pet who is very agitated and throwing up foam repeatedly should be examined ASAP if that vomiting isn't stopping. Something like GDV (commonly known as "bloat") is highly unlikely in a small breed dog like Coco, but not impossible.

If things are calming down now and she is stopping with the gagging and starting to relax, these are the things I suggest for vomiting dogs:

As long as their breathing is not labored, there is no abdominal distention, and their gums are pink and moist, I usually recommend holding off on giving any food or water for at least 6-8 hours. If they are continuing to vomit though this time, it's time to see the vet. If they stop vomiting, then I start by offering a small portion of water. If they keep that down for more than 2 hours, I offer another small amount of water and a small taste of food (1-2tsp). As long as they continue to tolerate small meals, you can gradually increase the amount of food at each sitting and increase the time in between meals. If they aren't eating at all for >24 hours, this also merits a trip to the vet.

Unfortunately with her age and what you're describing, I'm afraid that this could potentially be something serious. If it's at all possible for you to get her to an emergency clinic, this would be the safest thing to do. I'm sure that you can understand that I don't want to mislead you and cause her more harm. If an emergency visit is absolutely not possible tonight, I'd follow the steps outlined above and call her vet first thing in the morning.

Please let me know what other questions I can answer for you.

~Dr. Sara

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
O.k. I am taking her to a vet right now!
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

That is fantastic! Please let me know how she does and don't hesitate to contact me if I can be of more assistance. If you found me to be helpful, when you get a chance please consider giving me a favorable rating. We can still continue to talk even after the rating. Thanks!

~Dr. Sara