Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian
88695179

My Golden Retriever seems confused lately she will be 9 in

Customer Question

My Golden Retriever seems confused lately she will be 9 in April. Is there medicine or vitamins that would help
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I am sorry to hear that your dog is acting strangely. First, I would consider taking her to your vet for an examination. There are metabolic reasons that she could be having behavior changes such as low blood sugar (from a pancreas tumor), severe liver disease, or others.

As for nutritional support, antioxidants can be very helpful. There are several brands, but I like Vetquinol Antioxidants, you can get these on Amazon. Fish Oil can also be helpful and the dose is 1000mg per 10 pounds of body weight (ie an 80 pound dog would take 8000mg per day).

If all of her blood work checks out normal, you can also see if there are any veterinarians in your area that practice Traditional Chinese Medicine. There are some other herbs that can also be helpful with neurologic function. I am not familiar with the specifics, but I know they are helpful.

Does this help? Do you have any other questions?

Dr. Amanda

Kansas State University,

College of Veterinary Medicine Class of 2001

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

How is Ellie this evening? Were you able to order any of the vitamins I recommended?

Do you have any more questions for me?

If you are satisfied with my assistance, please take a moment to use the stars at the top of the page to rate my answer so that I will be compensated for helping you today. For future questions, you can find me here: http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=88695179&FID=0

Best regards,

Dr. Amanda