Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I am looking vet who would be willing to do a dog debarking

Customer Question

I am looking for a vet who would be willing to do a dog debarking procedure. We have tried everything and are at our wit's end. Not trying to be cruel - anything but that. All the vet's offices I have called act horrified that I am even asking.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I understand your frustration at this time. You're likely to need the services of a specialist veterinary surgeon whom you can find here: www.acvs.org/ I have advanced training in canine behavior and can tell you that your best non-surgical resource for addressing problem barking is a specialist veterinary behaviorist (not "trainer") as can be found here: www.dacvb.com/ Such a behaviorist will come to your home, examine the dynamics within, take a thorough history, write up a extensive program for you to follow, and make follow-up visits for updates and changes in the program as necessary. Such a specialist is also authorized to prescribe psychotherapeutic drugs if necessary. For now, please take a look at the ASPCA's synopsis on barking here: https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/dog-care/common-dog-behavior-issues/barking and please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is just not helpful to me. This dog belonged to my son. She bit his daughter in the face and this required a trip to the hospital and stitches. We had to remove the dog from that household. We contacted the rescue group from whom she was adopted and they did not want her back. We contacted every rescue in the book and the only advice we got was to put her down. She is not a bad dog. She is smart, knows a lot of tricks and is well trained but she is territorial and wants to patrol her area.. She has a high prey drive and has killed a number of ground hogs and rats that she could find on our farm. We don't hold that against her though but we have cats in our household and small dogs and we think she is not safe to be around them. She did get into bloody fights with a passive dog in her prior household. We have attempted to create the best environment possible in our back yard for her with a very nice house. She gets a wonderful homemade diet. We tried a shock collar but she barked so much that she got burns on her neck. We got a trainer. Did not help. We have tried anti anxiety drugs but no help. We have this little contraption that makes a high pitched sound when she barks but that is not helping. She is really a sweetheart of a dog though. We just want to work out keeping her but we feel like we will loose our minds if we cant stop the barking.

Thank you for the additional information. There appears to be far more behavioral problems than barking that need to be addressed. To answer your original question directly once again, please consider contacting a specialist surgeon at www.acvs.org to have the debarking surgery performed.