Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog appears to have eaten 1 of 4 small duraflame starter

Customer Question

my dog appears to have eaten 1 of 4 small duraflame starter logs that was in my living room. I had to leave for work, but am off at noon. How toxic is this to dogs? He is a 100 pound pit bull. I am very concerned. Thank you for your time.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

These aren't actually toxic to dogs as they are made of a combination of compressed sawdust and a fatty acid materials. The only issue with it is that we can see GI upset (vomiting, diarrhea, appetite loss) and for dogs that eat enough of it, we can see gut blockages.

Therefore, once you are home, you need to keep an eye out for Frankie being lethargic, vomiting, straining to pass stool, or having a tender belly. If you do see those signs, then we may need him to his vet for a check +/- xray to make sure there is no blockage. Otherwise, as long as he is comfortable, you can put him on a light diet (rice with boiled chicken, white fish, scrambled egg, or cottage cheese) with a fiber additive (ie spoonful of canned pumpkin, all bran). The light diet will be easy on the gut and the fiber can help push the material through and out the other end. As well, we can also add a dose of cat hair ball treatment or a GI lubricant (ie miralax, lactulose, etc) to ease its passage.

Overall, these are not toxic for dogs and if anything cause upset stomachs due to the fatty material. That said, if he ate a whole log, we need to wary of possible blockages. So, we'd want to use the above while keeping a close eye over the next 48 hours to make sure we see none of those signs of this being an issue.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )