Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dogs vomit is a very smelly foam a day after she had

Customer Question

My dogs vomit is a very smelly brown foam a day after she had severe diarrhea
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B,a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has she been showing signs?

What color was the diarrhea? Black? Any blood?

Has she been eating and drinking since the vomit? Can she keep anything down?

Are her gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, does she have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could she have eaten anything she should not have (ie bones, stones, socks, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Diarrhea was brown
Only drinking water does not want food
No tenderness when I pressed on her belly
Gums are dark and sticky
Had new food Freshpet Vital grain free 2 days ago
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

Would you say that the gums are the same color as usual for her? Or darker?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Same
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you again,

Good, I am glad that isn't a change for her, as that would raise some other worries here. That said, if her gums are sticky, we do need to tread with care. This is because that is an early stage sign that dehydration is starting to creep in.

Now based on the signs we are seeing, we do have a few concerns. Common causes for upper and lower GI upset of this nature include bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, parasites/protozoa infections, general dietary indiscretions, and ingestion of harmful items (ie toxins, plants, non-edible items). Hopefully, the last one is a lesser issue for her but always a concern with labs (since they do like to pick up odd items). Furthermore, we can see upset with quick diet changes but usually these are not so severe in nature.

With this all in mind, since she can keep water down, we can try some home supportive care to try to settle her stomach and see if we can get her eating. To start, if she hasn’t just vomited, then you can consider treating her with an antacid like:

* Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid)
*Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)

* Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet)
Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if she has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Of course, if we found she couldn't keep that down, it would be a red flag that we need to bypass her mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from her vet.

Though if we can get this, she can keep it down, and is more steady once it has had time to take effect; then we can try tempting her with a light/easily digestible diet. Examples we can feed are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish,cottage cheese, or scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset and diarrhea. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning her slowly back to her normal diet.

Since dehydration is a risk here, we need to keep an eye on her hydration. To check this, there are a few things you can test. Further to checking for gum moisture, you will want to make sure her eyes are not looking sunken and that she doesn’t have a"skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a good video HERE(http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then that would be our cue to have her seen before this becomes an additional issue for her (especially as it is often dehydration that makes them feel unwell).

Finally, since you didn't see any blood in her diarrhea, if this is still an issue for her then you can also consider trying a pet safe anti-diarrheal. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure for infectious issues; but it can still be of benefit. It will reduce diarrhea load, allow the body to absorb more water/nutrients, and soothe the upset gut. In regards ***** ***** options, the one we most commonly use is Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p)).This is available OTC at most pharmacies. Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, FastBalance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (all OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of providing support to the delicate good GI bacteria. So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing her upset GI.

Overall, there are a wide range of agents could trigger this severe GI upset we are seeing. It is understandable that she isn't keep to eat at this point. Still, we’d want to start supportive care to settle her stomach. If she cannot keep that or water down at any point, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get her vet involved. They can assess her hydration, rule out fever, make sure there is nothing in her stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, her vet can treat her with injectable anti-vomiting medication +/- antibiotics to settle her stomach and get her back feeling like herself.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you! : )