Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog ate a dry dead toad and is now shaking... Should I be

Customer Question

My dog ate a dry dead toad and is now shaking...
Should I be worried?
How do I make her vomit?
Thank you
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

If this looked like a cane toad or we are not sure of the species of toad and she has just eaten it (within the past 2 hours), then it'd be ideal to induce vomiting to just get this out of her system. To induce vomiting at home, you can administer 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1 ml per pound. (2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper,syringe, turkey baster – we just want to get it in. After giving this orally,move the abdomen around or get your wee one walking about to get things mixing.This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing your local vet (or ER vet) so that apomorphine (a very strong injectable emetic) can be administered just get this out of the stomach and avoid any adverse issues.

Further to this, we will also want to rinse her mouth out with cool water. The aim of this is to remove any residue from the toad (before or after vomiting) from her mouth. Afterwards, as long as she is more settled, we can then take some steps to offset GI upset here. Specifically, you can start her on a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or cottage cheese. Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. As well, if she does seem nauseous, you can also treat with an antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid)or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac).Whichever you use, we'd give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption and of course double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Overall, if she has just eaten this and is showing shaking signs, we'd want to induce vomiting now. Afterwards, we want to keep a close eye on her and start the above. As long as she settles, we are happy. Though if you cannot get her to vomit this back up or she has any further signs (muscle rigidity, disorientation, tremors, seizures, etc) then we would want to have her seen urgently by her local vet for further treatment.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Bridget,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Jemima. How is everything going?
nekovet