Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

Small dog opened small package of gel de silica - 't know if

Customer Question

small dog opened small package of gel de silica - don't know if she ate any - what to watch for if she did?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

Luckily these are relatively nontoxic to pets. The primary concern if the packet itself was ingested or a large enough quantity in a small breed dog to cause an obstruction. Symptoms to monitor for the next 24 hours include vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, reduced appetite.

Below is a Q&A with the Pet Poison Hotline about these packets:

Silica Gel

Q: Is it toxic?
A: Virtually non-toxic.

Q: What is it?
A: Silica is a hard porous gel that is made synthetically and utilized because of its high affinity for water. It is placed in products to control the humidity and prevent degradation. Silica gel packets are usually 1 x 2 inches and contain multiple small white, clear or opaque beads inside.

Q: Why is it labeled “do not eat”?
A: Silica gel is not intended for consumption and therefor receives the label “do not eat”. The dust from the processing and creation of silica is irritating to the skin, respiratory tract and gastrointestinal tract. In people who are chronically exposed to/inhaling silica, such as a employee in a mine or factory, a progressive debilitating disease called silicosis can develop. Fortunately, silica dust is rarely encountered by our furry friends. Some silica products are mixed with a moisture indicator, these indicators may be toxic in large doses. If a dye is present, the silica gel will no longer be a clear to white but instead bright orange, blue, pink or green.

Q: Is it a threat to dogs?
A: No, true toxicity risk exists from exposure to silica gel packets. The beads do not enlarge in the stomach and the exterior packaging is usually soft and presents little risk of injury of obstruction.

Please let me know any additional questions I can assist with or clarify this evening. I am online another 15 minutes to assist you both.

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for all the info and the quick reply. She is acting perfectly normal - no appetite loss!
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

That is good to hear :)

Can I assist with any additional questions or clarify anything today?

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon! How is Greta doing? I would love an update!

I would very much appreciate you rating our conversation so I maybe compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both!