Dr. Christian K.
Dr. Christian K., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of veterinary experience in canine surgery, medicine and behavior
15186300

I took my dog to the vet because she was not eating and

Customer Question

I took my dog to the vet because she was not eating and seemed to be feeling bad.A technician tried to draw blood from her neck 3 times unsuccessfully. A different person came in and was able to get a sample from her neck in one try. On the ride home she was acting strangely,shaky and weak. She could barely walk when we got home.Within minutes she couldn't walk at all.We put her back in the car and went back to the vet.I carried her in and laid her on the table and she died within about 30 seconds.Her symptoms after our visit were totally different from before.After her death,the vet drew fluid from her chest cavity and told us she died from internal bleeding.Could the inexperienced tech have caused her to bleed internally from trying to get blood?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Christian K. replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. Christian. I'm so sorry for your loss. Was there any swelling or bruising on her neck? Were there any other symptoms other than not eating and feeling bad such as coughing or difficult breathing? Did your vet notice anything on physical exam that was abnormal before the blood was drawn?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did not notice any swelling or bruising, but i was not looking for that and she is very harry. The Dr. said she had an elevated white cell count and low red cell count. He also drew clear fluid from her stomach with a needle.

Thank you for answering those questions. When blood is drawn from the neck it is taken from the jugular vein. It isn't uncommon for the blood draw to be difficult, especially in a patient that is sick or dehydrated. However, even though it may have taken several needle sticks to get the blood it wouldn't cause blood to pool in the chest since that is a different compartment of the body with different blood vessels. It may be that she either had a blood clotting problem (that would explain the low red cell count) or the blood in the chest was due to a tumor or other bleeding mass. Again, I'm so sorry for your loss. It's not possible for me to explain why she died but I am very confident that it was not caused by the attempted blood draws. If you have more questions please feel free to reply back but if not please take the time to provide a rating for this service.