Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

I 't know what to do but my dog is constipated and can not

Customer Question

I don't know what to do but my dog is constipated and can not go potty. I cant take her to the vet until tomorrow morning. What do I do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello Lisa,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Extra charge for call?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is the charge?

I can call you back at once an talk Princess's problem over in depth for an additional fee of $18:00

Please let me know if you want to proceed, otherwise I can chat with you online here.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
On line

No problem, please give me ten minutes to think things through and type out an answer for you ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again Lisa,

Glad to talk things over with you this way.

Sorry to hear Princess has a problem, however I have worked out an answer for you.

1. If the problem persists then taking her to the vet tomorrow is by far your best way forward, however there are some home remedies for constipation in the dog which can often be quite effective. If your dog is constipated you may want to try oral remedies such mineral oil { Liquid Paraffin } which is an over the counter product available from your chemist or pharmacy to relieve your dog's constipation, this type of product is very gentle and safe. The dose rate for a small dog of your one's size would be in the region of 2 ml twice a day orally. A small syringe you can also pick up at the pharmacy would be a good aid in administering this product.

However until you can get the mineral oil { If you do not have any at home } then olive oil or vegetable mineral oil will make a good substitute.

2. Also on a home remedy basis one of the things that might help is canned pumpkin, not pumpkin pie filling, this is a gentle stool softener for dogs which makes it a good natural remedy for constipation. You could try one teaspoons twice a day for a small dog like Princess.

3. But be aware that there would be two kinds of constipation in the dog, the first would be a simple or primary constipation which happens now and again and is not related to any disease process and may be related to feeding, it will often quickly respond to the above common sense sort of treatment. But dogs can appear to be constipated on a secondary basis for other reasons such as bowel obstruction or other serious conditions, this of course is rare and you would usually see other signs related to this situation. But for this reason if the problem persists or other symptoms appear you should consider having a vet check your dog over sooner rather than later. { As I know you intend to do }

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again Lisa

I am just checking back in to see how Princess is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning her constipation.

How are things going?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.