Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Our cocker vomits up, which is yellow bile & foamy

Customer Question

Our cocker vomits up, which is yellow bile & white foamy substance. This usually happens only on an empty stomach in the morning. Our Vet says he has an enlarged liver, could this be related to this?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am currently not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?

2- How much does he weigh?

3- Is she showing evidence of liver problems in the blood work?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It has seemed to be more frequent in the past month, it happens about once a week. He weighs 38lbs. Last blood work was fine.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's fine, will take my dog to the vet.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, it sounds like your dog may be suffering from a condition called: "Bilious Vomiting." We don't know exactly why it happens but believe it could be irritation from the stomach acid on an empty stomach. This is not related to the liver. I would recommend you give a snack before bed. Or, start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/2 tablet at bed time. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!