How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Kara Your Own Question
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 14837
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Kara is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My one year old 10 pound Shi Tzu was chewing on a new

Customer Question

My one year old 10 pound Shi Tzu was chewing on a new unopened bottle of my isagenix sleep spray about 2 and a half hours ago. A little bit if the spray was coming out of the lid when she bit down on it. I really don't think she got much, if any at all, which is why I want concerned at first. But then fir the last hour I've noticed her just laying around and napping, as I would expect given its a sleep spray, but then I thought I better check. I wasn't too worried because it's an all natural product, but when I shed my friends about it they said there is a poisonous ingredient in it for dogs. So I'm wondering if at this point should I be concerned or would there have been a reaction by now?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that your girl got a hold of something she should not have and chewed on it, your Isagenix sleep spray.

This product has active ingredients including melatonin, l-theanine, lemon balm, tart cherry, chamomile, and valerian.

Unfortunately it also contains xylitol, as the second ingredient, and this artificial sweetener is highly toxic for dogs. She is a tiny dog, thus a little bit may be enough to affect her.

If we can get the xylitol out of their body before they have time to digest and absorb it, by inducing vomiting quickly, and they don't have time to start showing initial symptoms such as vomiting, weakness, incoordination, and severe lethargy, we are likely to be successful in avoiding the truly toxic effects of xylitol, seizures, coma, liver disease and/or failure.

Since it has already been 2 hours it is likely it is probably too late to induce vomiting. At this point you cannot change things much at home, and I would encourage you to get her to an emergency clinic now. Most dogs that are going to get sick show symptoms within the first 30 to 60 minutes post exposure, but some take a little longer.

Melatonin is a naturally found hormone in dogs and people that helps regulate the sleep/wake cycle and is involved in seasonal shedding in dogs.

This is a medication that we do use sometimes in dogs to help them relax and sleep, and in cases that have abnormal shedding patterns related to seasonal light changes or abnormal growth hormone fluctuations. The usual dose in dogs is 2mg to 12mg per dog every 12 to 24 hours.

Because both Melatonin and xylitol can cause lethargy it will be difficult to know which one is affecting her, and given that xylitol can be deadly it is important to have him under close observation and check his blood sugar levels.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.