Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

My german shepherd bit my 11 year old pomeranian in the eye

Customer Question

My german shepherd bit my 11 year old pomeranian in the eye and she won't open her eye
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.

I am very sorry to hear about this injury.

I feel a emergency vet visit is critical. You need to know the condition of the eye globe and if there has been any trauma to the cornea. In addition, if there is any open wound, it is also critical to have antibiotics started immediately. Unfortunately, the risk for infection and because of the degre of swelling, there is no good way to manage this eye trauma at home.

You can try apply some cold compression to the eye, but because its on the head, it will be difficult to hold it there without aggravating your pom.

Well worth a more immediate vet visit.