Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My 8 month old shih tzu has kidney failure and in severe

Customer Question

My 8 month old shih tzu has kidney failure and in severe pain can I give her infants Tylenol Oral Suspension and how much she weighs 8lbs
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am currently not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread.

Friend, if your dog is in kidney failure you should not give any over the counter pain killers like Tylenol, advil, aspirin, etc. they can make the kidneys worst. Unfortunately there is nothing over the counter for pain in this case. Your vet can dispense prescription pain medication that can be used in a patient with kidney failure.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But Im having to take her tommorow to be put down so it's not gonna matter if it damages the kidneys more see is in severe pain
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, it is not only about making the kidneys worst. But, it will not be effective and make her current state worst. You see, besides her kidneys failing she will also experience gastrointestinal problems. Giving her any type of non steroidal anti inflammatory medication will make her feel worst, not better. I realize that this answer may not be entirely to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.

Please reply if you have additional questions.

Dr. Peter

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter