Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My dog has diarrhea. She is 9 yrs old and never had this

Customer Question

My dog has diarrhea. She is 9 yrs old and never had this problem. She has eaten the same food, Canadae canned for Seniors for 4 months. Monday night I came home from work, sh-- everywhere. I didn't know what to do so last night and this morning I fed her rice and white chicken meat. I also changed her water to some with electrolytes. She just had a "movement" and it's ocher yellow in color and like a pudding consistency. Oh, the color may have come from 1 small baked treat I gave her. What can I do to keep her from sh--ting. She is not vomiting or lethargic. Her-----had 1 or 2 drops of blood, barely a touch. Her anus is a little swollen and pink.
I am at the end of my rope. We live in a condo just the two of us. Plus, my carpet is off white. It is a mess.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

It sounds like she has a case of colitis (inflammation/ infection of the colon). This is extremely common in dogs. It can be due to a number of things- dietary, infections, stress induced, auto-immune, ect.

I typically treat them with a round of Metronidazole. It's an antibiotic, and also an anti-inflammatory in the gut. It works well to get this under control quickly. That would be your best option here. If you want to try something at home, I would add some extra fiber to the diet. To do that, you can give 1-2 tablespoons of canned pumpkin 2-4 times daily for a few days. You could also give a one time dose of Imodium (Loperamide).

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How much Immodium should I give her. She is about 16 lbs. teaspoon..more or less? And how often? Meanwhile, should I feed her usual meals? twice a day. Should I keep her on the chicken and rice?
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

You can give 1/2 of a 2 mg tablet. I would just give it once.

I would feed her normal food, just add 1 tablespoon of canned pumpkin. You can feed 3-4 small meals per day rather than 2 large meals. That should help with the colon motility as well.