Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

How much Pepcid AC should I give an 18lb shih tzu

Customer Question

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Hello. The normal dosage for pepcid AC is 0.5 to 1mg per kilogram of body weight, once or twice daily. An 18lb dog weighs 8 kilograms, so should have between 4 and 8mg of famotidine based on that body weight. Famotidine is available in different sizes, for a dog this size, I would use half of a 10mg tablet. I have attached an article on famotidine for you here: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=620 which you should review and it is always advisable to consult your vet if available to be sure they think the medication is safe for your dog. Dogs with underlying liver or kidney issues may not tolerate the drug as well, and there are some other drugs it can interact with (you will find these listed in the article I have linked).

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you have any questions about this information. If you do not, please take a moment to rate our conversation so we can know if you were satisfied with our service and I can get credit for helping to answer your question. Thank you and good luck!