Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Help. My dog got into my bottle of a Priority one Mega

Customer Question

Help. My dog got into my bottle of a Priority one Mega Stress tablets. Contains vitamin c, thiamine hcl, riboflavin, niacinaide, vitamin B6, Folate, vitamin B12, biotin, pantothenic acid, zinc elemental, chromium elemental, choline, PABA, inositol, bioflavonoids, licorice,panax, adrenal concentrate. I do not know how many he ate, guessing 25 tablets. What should I do?
Manufactured Exclusively for:
Priority One Nutritional Supplements, Inc
By First Priority Manufacturing, Inc.
2681 Delta Ring Road
ferndale, WA 98248
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long ago did he eat them?

How much does he weigh?

What is the zinc dose per tablet?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
About two hours. He weighs about 45lbs. 16mg per serving and serving is two tablets
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

First, I would note that the Vitamin C and the Vitamin B are no worry here. When taken in excess these are just passed in urine. The only component of these tablets that we needed to wary of is the zinc. That said, with the dose present and his weight, this is thankfully not toxic here.

Therefore, while we could induce vomiting just now or treat with activated charcoal; these are not really necessary. Instead, we can just choose to monitor for any potential GI upset this may cause (which the licking/swallowing did hint at nausea). To do so, you can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken,boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. As well, if we see any more signs of nausea, you can also start him on an antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid)or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food (to allow absorption)and of course you want to double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any pre-existing health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Overall, this is thankfully not a toxic ingestion for your lad. Most of the components are harmless and that one worrisome one is in a low dose. So, we'd just want to keep an eye and tackle any stomach upset he may have over the next 48 hours from this dietary indiscretion.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. I can get some sleep now. Will monitor him frequently and keep plenty of fresh water out.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome,

I am glad that I could give you peace of mind with this for your lad.

Get some good sleep, :)

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. If you have any lingering questions or concerns,please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button withthe issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)