Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

2year old terrier ate into a container of Desitin She threw

Customer Question

2year old terrier ate into a container of Desitin
She threw up but looks very uncomfortable
What next?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.

If jessie ingested enough to induce vomiting, absolutely, I vote for an emergency vet visit. It could cause severe gastritis. I will suggest some antacid options below to help settle the stomach, but strongly feel the ER visit is well worth it to get much better supportive care.

To help settle the stomach you can use of the following, but not as a replacement for veterinary examination include
1.Pepcid A.C. (famotidine) comes in 10mg, 20mg, or 40mg tablets.
You can give it every 12 hours. You can give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg.
2.Prilosec (omeprazole). It comes in 10mg or 20mg tablets.
You can give in every 24 hours. You give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg
3.Zantac (Ranitidne). It comes in 75mg, 150mg, or 300mg sizes.
You can give it every 8 to 12 hours. You give 0.25 to 1mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get roughly 1/3 tablet of the 75mg. Even with bigger pets, it is easiest to get the smallest size tablet. Even a 75 pound dog would only need one 75mg tablet.
4.Pepto-Bismol or Kaopectate
You can give it every 8 hours. The average dose is 1ml per pound of body weight, and that is the TOTAL dose for the day.So, if a pet weighs 30 pounds, they would get a total of 30ml a day or 10ml every 8 hours. This is dosing for regular strength Pepto-Bismol. If you use maximum strength liquid, give half as much.

Hope that information helps

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.

I would not offer any food for about 12 hours following any vomiting.

I would also withhold water for a few hours. Some dogs will also try to drink a lot of water when nauseated. Do not allow a lot to be ingested at once, as excessive water intake will induce more vomiting.

Appearing uncomfortable is likely abdominal pain, so I caution against a wait and see approach.

Wish I could do more.

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Hi Marykaye,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Jessie. How is everything going?