Dr. Gene
Dr. Gene, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM degree from Ontario Veterinary College
20949193

My dog Sofie had a heart murmur 6/6, she was put on heart

Customer Question

Hi
My dog Sofie had a heart murmur 6/6, she was put on heart medication in April, then in October she had a urinary tract infection and was put on antibiotics, we were told not to give her the heart medication whilst on the antibiotics. Is this true?
She had to be on the antibiotics for 2 weeks. Whilst this happened she got really run down and didn't eat and drink much. She then stumbled and collapsed. The final day she wouldn't raise her head, eat anything or drink. We rushed her to the Vet, he told us that she was going into heart failure and there was fluid on her lungs. He didn't do any blood tests or x-rays. I felt like we were rushed into it. I didn't want her to suffer and there was no one else open. He didn't give her a sedation injection either.
Did we do the right thing?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 1 year ago.

Hi there!

Let me ask you a few questions first:

1. What are her heart medications?
2. What was Sofie's antibiotic?
3. What testing was done before she was given heart medication?
4. I'm sorry it wasn't clear, was Sofie euthanized because of the severity of her heart failure?

Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She was put on Vetmedin 1.25mg. No testing was done, he did an all body check over. Said she had end stage glaucoma in her right eye. Heart murmur 6/6. Then in October was put on by a different vet noroclav 50mg 15 tablets- 1 per day. Had done a urinary tract test.We took her in on 8 Nov struggling to breathe. The vet that gave her the heart medication did a full body check, said she was in heart failure and he couldn't do anything.No sedative was used.
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry to hear she was so sick...

Vetmedin and Noroclav can be given together.

Vetmedin is used for treatment of congestive heart failure and it's a very effective medication; however, depending on the cause of her heart failure (there are many different heart conditions that can result in heart failure), additional medications could have been helpful. X-rays help to determine if fluid is present in the lungs, whether heart is enlarged or if other conditions are present.

Considering how bad her condition seemed to be at the time, I don't think you made the wrong decision. Chances are that Sofie's heart was in bad shape and it would have been difficult to turn things around. Additionally, she may have been quite uncomfortable as struggling for breath is not an easy thing to deal with... I'm sorry it turned out that way. Please let me know if I've answered your questions or if you need additional information. Take care.

Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 1 year ago.
Hi Grace,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Gene