Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Golden retriever possibly ingested venlafaxine hcl er 150 mg

Customer Question

Golden retriever possibly ingested venlafaxine hcl er 150 mg caps. What symptoms should I look for
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am currently not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has it been sinc he ate the Venlafaxine ER?

2- How capsules did he ingest?

3- How much does he weigh?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
90 minutes...unknown.....65 pounds
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

1- To make sure I got this right, you don't know how many capsule he ate?

2- Do you have hydrogen peroxide 3%?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
May not have ingested any... cannot account for 5 tablets
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

I would recommend you move quickly and try to induce vomiting. Doses of Venlafaxine above 2.75mg/kg will cause: Agitation, tremors, vocalization, hypertension, seizures, etc. In this case, if he took only 1 capsule of 150mg based on his weight this comes out to a dose of 5mg/kg. If he took 5 pills this could be fatal. To induce vomiting with peroxide this is what you do:

1- Give him 1 tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide orally to induce vomiting.

2- Allow him to walk for a minute and move his belly to mix stomach content with peroxide. If he does not vomit within 5-10 minutes, repeat it again. Can give a total of 3 times 5-10 minutes apart.

3- If he does not vomit or you do not see the capsules in the vomit I would have him checked by ER vet and they can induce vomiting with a medication called Apomorphine.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!