Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

My dog Lilly is a 10 year pitbull mix. She is a happy dog,

Customer Question

My dog Lilly is a 10 year pitbull mix. She is a happy dog, especially when I get home. Today is my day off and we spent the morning in bed dozing on and off. she seemed normal most of the day. Later in the afternoon I had some crème puffs and I gave her a very small piece of the crust. this evening I noticed that she was laying on the dogs bed. She usually stays on my bed with me. then she made this deep guttural groaning sound. I have never heard anything like that from her before. I went to her and I found some poop on the bed and she was throwing up I touched her and she was cold. I picked up the poop, wiped up the puke and sat on my bed to watch her. A bit later she let out another terrible groan rolled onto her side and stiffened up for ~30 seconds then she scooted over to the end of the bed and let her head hang over the edge. I went to check on her to get a response, but I got none. She has a vacant look in her eyes and her tongue was hanging out of her mouth. I wiped her mouth and she is puking up brown stuff. she will move around but I cant get any reaction out of her. any ideas doctor?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm really worried about Lilly based on your description. If she's truly unresponsive, that merits an immediate trip to an emergency hospital.

That episode of stiffening up sounds to me like it could have been a seizure (it's difficult to say without seeing it myself). Seizures in older dogs often signal severe underlying disease like metabolic derangements (electrolyte imbalances, uncontroled diabetes, among a whole host of "whole body" diseases), potential brain tumors or infections, vascular problems similar to strokes in people, or severe cardiac disease.

The sudden onset of vomiting and diarrhea also makes me concerned for GI issues like GDV (commonly known as "bloat"), severe acute infections, or toxin ingestions.

Overall, your description of what she's doing right now is definitely alarming enough for me to recommend that you seek emergency care for her.

Please let me know what questions I can answer for you.

~Dr. Sara

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)