Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

I just rescued a 2 year old tiny dachshund. Every morning

Customer Question

I just rescued a 2 year old tiny dachshund. Every morning after she eats she curls up in a ball and shakes and seems really uncomfortable. it seems like her stomach. It passes after about 15 20 minutes. What could this be from?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear about Minnie's habit of curling up after eating and shaking, and I believe she does have significant discomfort after eating.

While I am glad to hear that it passes I would like to think that we can do something to help her avoid this discomfort.

She may have a loose gastroesophageal sphincter and thus experience some acid reflux after eating which is causing painful burns to her esophagus (like heartburn for us). This can be due to a sensitive stomach and eating a protein or carbohydrate that she is sensitive to, a true food allergy, or it can be due to eating too quickly or eating too much at one time.

Chronic pancreatitis can also trigger abdominal pain after eating a high fat meal.

You can give her acid reducers to try and settle her stomach. Either:

1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at a dose of one half of a 10mg tablet per 10 to 20 pounds of body weight every 12 hours.

OR

2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one quarter of a 20mg tablet per 10 to 20 pounds of body weight every 24 hours.

These will reduce stomach acid and should help settle with reflux. These can be used long term if necessary as they are very safe.

I would also try a bland diet and feeding several small meals a day rather than one or two big meals and see if that helps.

A homemade bland diet consists of 1/3 boiled, lean hamburger (or boiled, white, skinless chicken) and 2/3 boiled white rice. Give small meals several times a day. Feed the bland diet for several days, then start mixing in her regular diet and slowly convert her back.

If her nausea and abdominal pain continues then she may need injectable medication from her veterinarian to get her stomach upset under control.

So watch her for continued symptoms even with the acid reducers, blood in her stool or vomit or a fever (more than 103.5F rectally), a tense painful belly or lack of appetite after her food fast. If any of those occur it is time to seek hands on veterinary care.

Since this has been a repeated problem for her consider the treats she is being given or if she is fed lots of table food. I would stop all treats and table food until this is settled.

If you go back to her dog original food, and feed several small meals daily rather than big meals, stop table food and treats and her symptoms continue even with the acid reducers then you may wish to consider using a using a low irritant food, like the sensitive stomach formulas made by Science Diet or Royal Canin.

Some dogs need a prescription low irritant food, for example Hills i/d or Purina Veterinary Diets EN, or a hypoallergenic food such as Hills z/d or Purina Veterinary Diets HA long term. She may have a dietary allergy or a sensitive stomach.

If this continues it would also be a good idea to have blood tests done as well to make sure there isn't an underlying metabolic problem like early organ failure, pancreatitis or Addison's disease present.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.