Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Occasional blood in urine Itching

Customer Question

Occasional blood in urine Itching
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

First, I must note that if you are seeing occasional blood in Pepper's urine, you do need to tread with care. This is because this can be a sign of bladder infection (especially if she strains and passes small volumes of urine) but also can be a sign of urine crystal issues, bladder stones, and bladder tumors. Therefore, it'd be ideal to collect a urine sample to be tested by her vet. Depending on their findings, they can help you determine which is an issue for her and get her on appropriate treatment to address this for her.

Otherwise, in regards ***** ***** itching, this is likely a separate issue. If you have been treating for fleas (do be careful with garlic, as it can be toxic in too high a dose for dogs) and she has had no recent diet changes, then we may have an ongoing allergic dermatitis. In regards ***** ***** to soothe her at home, I'd note that you can consider treating her with an antihistamine. Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl).A low dose (ie. 0.5-2 mg per pound of their body weight twice daily) can just be enough to reduce that allergic irritation. We like to keep the dose low, as it can cause drowsiness (just like people). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first. Of course, if her irritation is too severe for this, then we'd want to speak to her vet about stronger anti-inflammatories to soothe this for her.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. If you have any lingering questions or concerns,please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button withthe issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)