Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My bischon/poodle male 8 year old had intervertebral surgery

Customer Question

Customer: my bischon/poodle male 8 year old had intervertebral surgery on Friday
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: night, Dec 27. He was discharged Dec 30, I have him at home, He eats a little chicken and drinks a little water. The nurse
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: at the clinic said he urinated
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he is not urinating. hasn't since saturday. I meant Nov not Dec. Should I take him back to the
doctor or is this ok that he isn't
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear that your dog had surgery. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and I answer questions for Just Answer.

It is a good sign that he will eat and drink, but if he has not urinated at all since Saturday, I am very concerned. If I was the surgeon that operated on him, I would want to know this. I would definitely call them to let them know or better yet, take him in to be checked. If the nerves to his bladder are not working, he may need to have his bladder emptied by catheter or by putting pressure on his abdomen to express it.

Is he taking antibiotics? Retaining urine can lead to a bladder infection.

Let me know what else I can help with or answer, and how he is doing. Rebecca

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
pain pills only
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I would definitely get him checked, to see if his bladder is enlarged and have it emptied if it is. They could do a test on the urine to see if there is any infection, and could show you how to empty his bladder if he is retaining urine.

Is he walking, using his legs normally?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

How is your dog doing?