Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My son's 9 month old puppy mix has demotic mange. It is hard

Customer Question

My son's 9 month old puppy mix has demotic mange. It is hard to keep from returning. Can I give him oral ivermectin to help keep it under control?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now it is not uncommon for dogs prone to Demodex to have recurrent issues with it. This is because this is a mite that all dogs carry and the recurrence is related to Enzo's body (either due to genetics or immune issues)struggling to keep the mite population in check. Now in regards ***** ***** Ivermectin would be an option but you would need to be dosing every few weeks and the chance of resistance over time would be a concern. So, its not ideal.

Therefore, just since it sounds like the Amitraz isn't giving long lasting help either, I would suggest speaking to his vet about Bravecto. This is a fairly new anti-parasite product that has been showing promise with managing demodex cases and in those cases only needed to be used every 12 weeks. So, that would be a better option (and easier/safer for you to administer at home) for Enzo.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Enzo. How is everything going?
nekovet