Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog ate plastic stitch markers. They are round plastic

Customer Question

my dog ate plastic stitch markers. They are round plastic circles, ranging in diameter from 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch. Should I take him to the vet and have vomiting induced? He seems to be fine.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long ago did he eat these?

How many do you think he had?

What size/breed is he?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He's a 4 1/2 month old black lab. About 45 lbs. He ate them about 14 hours ago. He ate about 12-16 of them. They're thin rubber rings, not sharp. He's eaten his dog food and had about 3 bowel movements since he ate them. As far as I can tell they've not come out yet.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

If it was already that long ago, then its positive to hear that he is acting normally. This is because after 2 hours, items in the stomach are usually passed into the intestines. And in regards ***** ***** question, after that stage, inducing vomiting does not tend to be beneficial.

With that in mind, then best option here is to encourage these to pass the other way. Therefore, since he is eating normally and has not gut upset, you can add a spoonful of canned pumpkin or all bran to his diet. The fiber will help push the markers through. As well, you can also add a dose of cat hairball treatment or a GI lubricant (ie Lactulose, Miralax, food grade mineral oil, etc) to his food to help them slide through. While doing so, do keep an eye on his stool as we usually see items pass within 24-48 hours.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. If you have any lingering questions or concerns,please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button withthe issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)