Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I'm an LVT, but I need a second opinion: I picked up my

Customer Question

Hi, I'm an LVT, but I need a second opinion: I picked up my 5-month-old Dane puppy from daycare earlier this evening around 7:45pm or so but I just noticed a golfball sized "goose egg" on her head, near her R "eyebrow". It's somewhat firm, no SQ emphysema from what I can tell, she's not acting any differently, but it does seem sore to the touch. Do I bring her into ER now or monitor her and see if it gets smaller? I lose all my knowledge when it comes to my own kids!!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

As long as Olivia is acting normally and it is not severely painful, you can monitor it over night while warm compressing the lump. Our main differentials here will be possible hematoma, soft tissue trauma, abscess, or allergic reaction if stung/bitten by an insect. The first 2 will go down with time and compressing. If you think there is any chance of a bug based allergic reaction, you can choose to treat her with Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (0.5-2mg per pound every 8-12 hours). Otherwise, if it is not settled by the time your vet is open, you can have it checked +/- sampled to rule out abscess or at least get her started on a dog safe anti-inflammatory (ie Metacam, Rimadyl, etc).

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just woke up to check on her and she's still in great spirits. She just urinated and defecated (both normal) and ate a good amount of food. The bump has not decreased in size at all, though I did not stay up with her overnight to perform warm compresses. My guess is that a dog bit her in daycare, thought the attendants couldn't tell me anything about that when I called last night 😡😡😡 she's not displaying any neurological signs so I will try warm compresses today and bring her to work with me tomorrow to have her evaluated.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

I am glad to hear that she is and that is not uncommon to see in these facilities (even as an accident in play). So, that sounds like a fine plan of action for her. :)

All the best,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's a pretty sizable bump for none of the attendants to have witnessed anything, so I'm not happy about that, but yes, I knew there would be risk having her play with other dogs. I just couldn't sleep last night and wanted a second opinion to help me relax. She would've shown some neuro signs by now if it were a serious injury, right? It's been about 6 hours since I noticed the bump.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

We'd not expect neurological signs with Olivia. Especially with so much time since this appearance. If we had had head trauma causing a brain bleed or swelling, we'd have seen mental depression and signs within the first few hours after onset.

All the best,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, that's a relief!! Thanks for your help!
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome.

I am glad I could give you some peace of mind. :)

Best wishes to you both,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Same to you :)
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

:)

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Olivia. How is everything going?
nekovet