Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

I have a small Chihuahua puppy who is 9 weeks old I bought

Customer Question

I have a small Chihuahua puppy who is 9 weeks old I bought over the counter wormer and believe I gave her too much, she hasn't thrown up or had diarrhea but she is very hyper and sensitive to sound. What should I do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about your problem with Macy. Can you tell me what medication you gave her? What is the name of the ingredient on the box? How much did you give and how much does your dog weight? How long ago did you give it to her?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Safe-Guard dewormer 1 MG, I'm not sure how much she weighs don't take her to the vet until Wednesday around 7pm tonight
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Does it list the active ingredient as Fenbendazole? We may be in different time zones, how many hours ago was this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
about 4.5 hours ago
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Ok. If Fenbendazole is the active ingredient, it is unlikely that it is causing your dog's symptoms. Unless she has a hypersensitivity to the drug (which would be very unusual). Fenbendazole is considered a very safe drug and is well tolerated in doses up to 100 times the normal dosage.

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Is she eating and drinking normally? Any difficulty breathing? Do her gums look pink and moist?

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Do you have a thermometer at home to take her temperature?

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Are you still there?

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

If your pet has difficulty breathing, becomes weak or lethargic, starts vomiting, seems to be in pain, these would all be reasons to seek medical attention right away.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. If you do not, please take a moment to rate our conversation so we can know if you were satisfied with our service and I can get credit for helping to answer your question. Thank you and good luck!

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.
Hi Lorin,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Macy. How is everything going?
Jessica Keay