Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
15015521

Our dog appears to have a problem with going to the bathroom

Customer Question

Our dog appears to have a problem with going to the bathroom some what with urinating and theo ther my goodness he cries. We are not sure how this constipation came about. Is there something we can give him until we can get to the vet hospital later tonight?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 1 year ago.

Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 10 years experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you. Please be patient as there may be slight delays in responses as I research your pet's issue.

I am not sure I understand what is going on... is this a urinary issue, or a constipation issue? Is your dog urinating in full streams? Is your dog passing stool? How long has this been going on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Last night we heard him yelp this awful scream, at that time we thought that he had been hurt somehow as someone has tried to take him on more than one aoccassion. He didn't seem to have any problems during the night. We noticed he couldn't urinate a steady stream this am but thought he just didn't drink enough water and we'd watch him today. When I took him out to go tot he bathroom this afternoon, his urine was ok but he couldn't poop. Only a little bit came out and he screamed in pain. His owner is my brother and he is at work, so until he can get here we are looking foransweres. The nearest vet hosp is an hour away.
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 1 year ago.

Is he neutered?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 1 year ago.

Okay. He could have prostatitis, which would affect both urination and defecation. It is much more common in un-neutered males. It is typically treated with antibiotics, and there is not much you can do to treat it at home in the meantime except to manage pain. How much does the dog weigh, and do you have any access to the human pain medication Tramadol, or aspirin?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not know how much he weighs but he is big and healthy there...we do not have access to those drugs here sorry. thank you though
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 1 year ago.

Oh... are you somewhere rural US, or maybe a different country?

Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 1 year ago.

I am still waiting for your response so that I can help your dog... do you still want help?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dr. Ann M. my apologies, but he came in about that time and picked up the dog and drove him to the nearest Vet hospital about an hour away. They agreed with your diagnosis and he was given the meds like you had mentioned. Thank you for helping us know what they might look for as well. The dog is feeling much better!
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 1 year ago.

I'm so glad to hear that! So glad my advice helped. Please let me know if you have further questions as this progresses, and please remember to rate my service so that I will receive credit for the time I spent researching your issue and assisting you. Happy holidays! Take care.