Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
27344366

My dog hurt her foot does not want to walk on it she has not

Customer Question

my dog hurt her foot does not want to walk on it she has not gone potty all day
how long can she go and not hurt herself
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

HI this is DRB and I would be happy to help you with this. Are you referring to urination or defecation?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

Typically dogs can go a few days 1-3 without a stool. For urination some can hold it for 24 hours if they are in pain. But nature will win out especially with urination. She will use the bathroom before she will injure herself. Nature will overcome that.....does that make sense?

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

I would expect her to urinate by tomorrow at the latest...

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

Does that help and do you have any other questions?

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

I am standing by for you if you have any other questions......please let me know

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
she can not stand on her back leg i think she fell off a little bed she is thirteen yrs old if she does not go by tomorrow i think i need to have her put down
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

She may not be standing on her back leg because she has injured it such as with an ACL tear or a luxated patella. I would have her checked out to determine what her injury is so that you can decide what is best to do for her. Does that make sense?

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

If you find that she has torn her ACL ligament or needs surgery for her leg then you may be forced to humanely euthanize her. But I would see a vet first and at least let them examine her. Please let me know if you have additional questions. Sincerely, DRB

Please hit rate my service as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you very much.

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

Can if offer you further assistance?

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

Can I offer you further assistance?

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

Ok, I have to retire for the night but will be back online tomorrow if you need further assistance.....please feel free to leave your questions here. Sincerely, DRB