Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

There is something wrong with my dogs back legs. I 't know

Customer Question

There is something wrong with my dogs back legs. I don't know if he fell getting down from a chair or the couch because I was not home. He is an 8+ year old long haired Doxie. I can't get him to my vet until tomorrow. Is there anything I should be doing right now? I don't know what kind of pain he is in. He is walking a little, but lays right down again and goes to sleep.
Thanks
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am so very sorry to hear about your little one. My primary concern is an injury to the back back, not necessarily doing something like jumping off the furniture as you mentioned and crying out, they can be walking around the house and have a disc herniation because of their anatomy.

Here is more information on this condition:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/intervertebral-disc-disease-thoracolumbar-area-in-dogs/page1.aspx

Ideal is to have your veterinarian evaluate your dog tomorrow to definitively diagnose the problem and start on appropriate medication to control the discomfort. Until you are able to do this please restrict activity (which often they are already doing themselves but that means no steps/ stairs and only carrying to go potty) and rotating warm and cool compresses on the back in ten minute intervals to reduce pain and increase blood flow.

You can also do light circular massage up and down the back to stimulate blood flow if this is not too painful and will allow it.

To pick your dog up please use one hand between front legs and then scooping behind back legs to avoid pressure in the middle of the back. I have actually trained my little dogs to put their front legs on my forearm to minimize pressure on their backs and the associated discomfort.

Since he isn't moving much please make sure access to fresh water and his food is nearby to limit his activity

Please let me know if you have any additional questions I can assist with. I hope you are able to get your little one comfortable soon, truly.

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I am online another 15 minutes tonight if I can be of any further assistance to you both

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Good evening, I am checking in on Bandit to see how he did after you asked your question yesterday? I would love an update when you are able...

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I will be on intermittently tonight but welcome an update

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Bandit. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman