Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

I bathe my dog every three weeks but she gets dark sports on

Customer Question

I bathe my dog every three weeks but she gets dark sports on her back. This happened after I changed to a different dog grooming place. I she has a skin infection. She is an indoor dog, my house is clean but now this. I thought about giving her a bath every week or two weeks. I think it can also be an allergic reaction to her food.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.

LOts of topics to cover. I will wait for your response so I know we are connected before proceeding.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, can you tell me, about my question. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.

Yes.

Need a few minutes to prepare some information for you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I want to get an answer here at the computer not to talk to anyone because I am not willing to pay more and really I just need to find out about this for this month. If you have questions, please ask me so that I can get an answer.
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.

Some dark spots and pigment changes can be normal for certain breeds and as dogs age. I can't necessarily coorelate anything the new groomer would be doing that could exacerbate what you are seeing. Any particular shampoo should not be a cause. Yes, it is possible that a skin infection, either bacterial, yeast or both could be present. Even 100% indoors, many skin issues are related to environmental allergies. Doesn't matter how clean and if indoors. With wind, everything blows around in the environment. Yes, your suspicion about food is a true.

However, only about 1 in 4 or 5 dogs, that actually has an allergy, is due to the food. About 75% of all allergic dogs, have an environmental allergy, not food. Some dogs can have both!

Bathing every 2 to 3 weeks is fine. However, if your vet feels that an environmental allergy may be playing a role, bathing more often with a prescription shampoo designed for the current condition of the skin, would be advised.

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.

Yes, no phone call.

But, I still need to send more information. typing quickly

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.

Dogs don't "inhale" their allergies like us. It is absorbed directly through the skin. So, although a dog really should be bathed not more often than every 2 weeks, an allergic dog can benefit from more often if the right shampoo.

So, next step is a vet visit to evaluate the skin for any secondary infection, so you can get the right oral and/or topical therapy to get any skin issues addressed.

Than, work with the vet about discussing the underlying concerns for allergy issues that may be exacerbating any skin problems.

Hope that information helps.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My dog is two years old, white and pink skin. She is an indoor dog, she eats Pedigree chicken small chunks,maybe the food is not appropriate?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there a natural remedy to cure her?
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.

2 years old:

So, thyroid issues are unlikely. Environmental allergies quite possible. Food can still be an issue. Either way, I do not like Pedigree. I am a fan of the simple, premium foods where I know ingredients are sourced from within the U.S.

I prefer Hill's Ideal Balance or Royal Canin.

You do not have to feed the super expensive foods like Blue Buffalo, Wilderness, etc...

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.

No natural remedy.

No diagnosis yet. A vet needs to properly evaluate the skin and see if there is any active infection, and if so, is it bacterial and/or yeast.

You can't go a holistic route or even get suggestions for holistic treatment without a assessment.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But do I need to apply something on her skin?
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.

Don't know yet.

Need an examination, maybe a simple in-hospital skin cytology test to see what is and is not there. Than, and only then, a vet can determine what topical therapies would be best.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I plan to go by a feed store where they have a vet and sell food for animals and mention it to the vet if not I am going to take her to Mexico with a vet over there.
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.

Sounds like a plan. Get the skin evaluated and then take the next step based on what is diagnosed.

Hope that responses have been satisfactory.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Her skin is fine after I give her a bath but then the black spots appear again.
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.

Understood. Could be a secondary yeast issue. If black spots and they wash away that also could be flea poop. Litereally! Flea feces. You may not ever see live fleas, but we often call it black dandruff. It's flea poop. Could be wrong, but for completeness of my answer, I wanted to mention it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome. I hope my responses were satisfactory.

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?