Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

Just receive the tacrolimus dog eyes. She has a corneal

Customer Question

Customer: Just receive the tacrolimus for my dog for her eyes. She has a corneal degeneration. One drop in each eye. They said we caught it early. She is an ***** ***** dogs. She has Addisons disease and take prednisone and proin. Just wondered what this does long term as he inidcated that she may be on it for the rest of her life and she is 4 years old.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: ***** *****'s disease in dogs is also known as hypoadrenocorticism. It is a disease that results from the reduction in corticosteroid secretion from the adrenal gland. The adrenal gland is a small gland located near the kidney that secretes several different substances that help regulate normal body functions.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Eye Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure ~ I am about to leave the house will you bill me or what do I need to do and How do I know if the site is secure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear your dog has Addison's, and now this problem with her corneas. My name is ***** ***** I answer questions for Just Answer. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Usually when we start a dog on tacrolimus for a problem, it is for life. There do not seem to be any long term effects, except that if you stop it, the problem usually returns.

I will do a bit of research about tacrolimus and dogs with Addison's, just to be sure. One moment.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

Did some research on Veterinary Information Network, a website of specialists. The recommended treatment for autoimmune skin diseases and eye diseases in dogs with Addison's is tacrolimus, to avoid drugs with systemic effects that might interfere with the Addison's disease. Hope it works for you and your dog since it appears to be the safest thing to use.

Let me know if this answers your question, and if I can help with anything else. Kindly consider rating my answer so the website knows to credit me for helping you. You can still get back to me with questions and updates after rating.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I hope this was helpful. Let me know! My goal is to earn a good rating from you so if you have more questions please let me know.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

How is your dog doing? I did not get a response from you so I hope your questions were answered. Rebecca