How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. B. Your Own Question
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 16283
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Please help! I have a 2yr old Mastiff who started vomiting 3

Customer Question

Please help! I have a 2yr old Bull Mastiff who started vomiting 3 weeks ago. Vet put him on a strong antiemetic that worked for 8days once finished he vomited again. He has had no blood work. We feed him rice and ground beef and along with the antiemetic has seemed well until last night. Vet wants to send him for endoscopy which I am reluctant to do since nothing showed up on the X-rays. He is a very anxious dog also. Should I try something else before internal meed appointment?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now I have to say that I am quite concerned about Sam.

To hear that he relapsed into vomiting after the medication stopped is a major red flag that the cause for his nausea/vomiting has not been cleared. So, while those strong anti-nausea medications kept the signs at bay, the original cause is still ongoing and therefore a problem.

With this in mind, while it is unfortunate that he is an anxious dog, we are really in a position where he needs further diagnostic testing. This is because we could try other medications to keep her as nausea free as possible, but we run the risk of the primary problem (ie infection, IBD, metabolic issue, organ based trouble, blockage, etc) having more time to brew and cause him harm. Therefore, it is really ideal to get to the root cause as quickly as we can. Just to note, scoping is a very good next step here as it lets your vet see into the stomach and intestines to see what is acutally going on inside to cause these signs. At the same time, they can even take samples for analysis to diagnose what is present. And further to this, if bloods have not been tested, they too may be a good idea here to see if there is an hint of infection or any organ damage we don't know about.

Overall, it sounds like you have tried symptomatic care and this nor his immune system has cleared the cause for his signs in that time. Therefore, it is not advisable to try to blanket treat with anything else, as we run the risk of missing that causative agent and allowing it to cause more damage or gain a further foothold as time passes.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** made the endoscopy appt for this week.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome,

I do think that is the best next step for Sam.

Best wishes to you both,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Sam. How is everything going?
nekovet
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We are taking him for an U/S and endoscopy today with a different Vet after a second opinion. Actually I called my previous Vet who had retired and felt more comfortable with his son, who is also a Vet than the one we go to now. Thanks for your concern.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome and thank you for update on Sam.

That sounds like the perfect course of action. Hopefully, this vet can use those diagnostic tools to get to the root of Sam's signs so that we can address them for him and get him settled. :)

All the best for Sam,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome and thank you for update on Sam.

That sounds like the perfect course of action. Hopefully, this vet can use those diagnostic tools to get to the root of Sam's signs so that we can address them for him and get him settled. :)

All the best for Sam,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )