Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My year and 1/2 old Sheltie, suddenly has light splotches on

Customer Question

My year and 1/2 old Sheltie, suddenly has light brown splotches on his skin, on his underside. They are about dime size and aboit 10 of them.Never had them before. Just appeared. His only diet change started a few months ago to a raw diet, along with rice and some healthy dry. Thanks, ***** *****ebach
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Are the splotches raised at all?

Are they itchy for him?

Has he been having any skin issues at all?

Can you take a photo of this? If you can do so, this will let me see what you are seeing. To post them online, you can use the paperclip icon on the tool bar above your text box. Or if you can't see that on your computer/phone, then you can post them on any other site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, imgur, etc) and paste the web link here for me to check.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The blotches are not raised, nor do they seem to be itching him. I would like to take a picture and send, but I am not sure where to send.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

You need only post it here using the little paperclip that should be above the box you are replying to me with. Or again you can even post it on any website where you can upload photos (like those I noted above) and just paste the link here for me to follow and see what you are seeing.

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have pictures, is there an email or text number I can send to. There is no paperclip and +Add files doesn't seem to pull up my pictures.
Thanks Barbara
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again Barbara,

I am afraid that it is against website policy for me to list an email address (which would be blocked anyway). You can submit the photos to customer service (@ http://ww2.justanswer.com/help) but it can take time for them to get them to me. Therefore, it'd really be best to post your photos on another site (like Photobucket or even your Facebook/Twitter/etc.) and then paste that address here. That way I can follow the link, see them now and confirm my suspicions about these skin changes you are seeing.

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This just isn't working out for me I don't have Twitter and don't do much with Facebook. I have pictures and can send them to an email or text. I understand your policy. I am going to go ahead and send to the customer service link you posted and make reference to my Just Answer number. I will probably just have to go ahead and take my dog to our Vet.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

I know that can be a bit complicated when your version of the website isn't showing the photo upload paperclip. Anyway, I will keep my eye out for your photos being sent along, but in the meantime I will give you my thoughts on this.

Now to hear that he has brown patches of pigmentation on his abdomen that are non-raised and non-itchy fits most with hyperpigmentation. This is not anything worrisome itself. It is actually a side effect of low grade irritation/inflammation to the skin. The brown color development is due to melanocytes responding to that irritation by producing more melanin (it is akin to our melanocytes making more melanin when our skin is being 'irritated' by the sun).

So, if he has had a recent diet change a few months ago, it is possible that he is mildly sensitive to something in that diet (if it were more severe then he'd be itchy too). As well, we can see it in response to irritation by contact with chemicals (ie laundry soaps, carpet powders, etc) or pollens (ie grass, etc). So, in this case you will want to review anything he is in contact with and potentially trial alternatives of his raw diet (ie try it without one of the components or by substituting with a different one for 4-6 weeks) to see if this settles. Otherwise, as long as its not itchy or irritating, we'd not necessarily rush to treat this. But again it is a clue of likely low grade skin irritation for Tanner.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )