Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

My female English bulldog went into heat nov 22nd. she was

Customer Question

my female English bulldog went into heat nov 22nd. she was swollen yesterday and other dogs were all over her. today nov 30th they are all back to normal. question is: Can I breed her today, and will she get pregenant??
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how much will I be charged for the answer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello, this is Patti xxxx. My phone # ***** ***** Please call me & give me the answer!!
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I see you have a question about whether or not to breed your dog or whether you should get the progesterone level measured?

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Normally what is recommended is that you record the first day that your bitch shows signs of proestrus, which would be bloody vaginal discharge, swelling of the vulva, and male dogs being interested in her. On day 5 or 6 of proestrus, start "teasing" her with a male dog, and repeat this every 2 to 3 days to determine when her first day of standing heat is. Breed her on the first day of standing heat and then every other day during the period she will accept the male. It may not be too late to test her progesterone level, the issue is once it gets over a certain level, it isn't of value in determining if she has ovulated yet. If you measure the level, and it is over 5, then it cannot be used to determine if she has ovulated. To determine if ovulation is occurring, you have to have a baseline progesterone level measured, followed by a subsequent higher progesterone level to show that ovulation is occurring.

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

So you could try to measure the progesterone now, if it is 5 or over, it isn't going to be of value to you. If it is less than 2, then you should remeasure in 2 days, and keep measuring it every 2 days until it jumps to over 2, then you will know she is going to ovulate and should breed her every other day starting ASAP.

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you have any questions about this information. If you do not, please take a moment to rate our conversation so we can know if you were satisfied with our service and I can get credit for helping to answer your question. Thank you and good luck!

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.
Hi Patti,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Jessica Keay