Ola Barrett
Ola Barrett,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Lake Chatuge Animal Hospital
77721119

My Chihuahua has been separated from her 3 week old pups

Customer Question

My Chihuahua has been separated from her 3 week old pups because of recurring eclampsia. She is very depressed and also has two bottom teats which are quite large, although not appearing to be sore or tender in any way. How long does it take for her milk to dry up and should I be worrying about the enlarged teats? How soon can I re-unite her with her pups?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Ola Barrett replied 1 year ago.

Hello I am Dr RB and I am a small animal veterinarian. Has your vet seen Snuggles and treated her for the eclampsia? Her lethargy and enlarged mammae makes me especially concerned about mammary infection (e.g. mastitis). Given that she is toy breed, it is much easier also for hypoglycemia and dehydration to be contributing as well. Even if she isn't nursing, she still needs to 2-3 times as many calories daily as pre-partum.. The best way to get her feeling better may be to make an appointment with her regular veterinarian. Along with performing blood work and other diagnostics to rule out mammary infection, your DVM can also supplement her hydration with subcutaneous or intravenous fluids. Until you can get her in to see her doctor, I would hand feed her food with high calorie content (such as canned food, baby food puree) to raise her blood sugar and also supplement her drinking with syringe water. Once she is back on her feet and feeling better, you can re-unite her with the puppies but not before. I hope this advice is helpful to you:)

I'm just following up on our conversation about Snuggles. How is everything going?
Ola Barrett

Hello again, I hope Snuggles is feeling better..If my advice helped, it would be greatly appreciated if you could take the time to give my response a positive rating? This would allow me to receive compensation for my expertise and time assisting you and your pet.. Much thanks