Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog weighs 8 lbs and ate an Advil, do I need to take her

Customer Question

Hi, my dog weighs 8 lbs and ate an Advil, do I need to take her to an emergency vet?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

What milligrams was the Advil?

How long ago did she eat this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
200 mg and I'm not sure, she was home for quite some time. Anywhere from 12-6 hours ago. She has not vomited or pooped since.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

Unfortunately that is way too high a dose for Charlee's size. This tablet would translate to a 55 mg/kg dose for your wee lass. To appreciate how severe this really is, we have to be aware that signs of intoxication and damage with this drug start at doses as low as 5-8mg/kg. That said, in laboratory studies, irreversible kidney damage was appreciated once the dose reached ~175 mg/kg. So, it is not as likely to cause kidney failure here but it could cause harm and there is a real risk of GI upset (vomiting, diarrhea, stomach ulceration/perforation).

Now if it has been so long already, our hands are really tied on what we can do. It is too late to induce vomiting or use activated charcoal to bind this drug and keep it from being absorbed. Instead, the best option is symptomatic care for her. Since it was such a dangerously high dose, it'd be ideal to have her to her vets for IV fluids +/- check her kidney function via blood or urine testing. This way we can flush the drug out of her system quicker and limit the harm it can cause.

If there is any delay in doing so, we'd at least want to start an antacid treatment to reduce the stomach ulceration risk for Charlee. OTC pet safe options we can use are Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). Whichever you use, we'd give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption every 12 hours and of course double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Once that is on board, you can feed frequent small meals of a light diet option for a few days. This will help keep the stomach from being empty and gives the stomach acid something to "chew" on besides the stomach wall. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken,boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder).

Overall, this is a very large dose that Charlee has had. Therefore, since it is past a point where we can block absorption, it'd be ideal and best for her to be seen urgently. That way we can get this drug flushed from her system and have the local ER vet start her on gastroprotectants to reduce the risk of this causing her harm.

Overall, this is a very serious situation and we need to act quickly to keep her from harm. Therefore, use the above now. Any delay in doing so and we'd want to think about a urgent vet visit so that this can be done for her +/- IV fluids started to flush the drug from her system and protect her kidneys from any damage.

In this situation, just in case you do wish to see an ER vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or www.veccs.org/index.php?option=com_hospitals&nationid=1&Itemid=193

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)