Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian
88695179

My dog just got over heartworms and is on prevention. he got

Customer Question

my dog just got over heartworms and is on prevention. he got over heated today from running and playing ... and took forever to cool down and drank a lot of water. Threw it all up and then threw up bile or something a few times after all the water. Now he is lethargic and mopey and acting like he is sick and not himself at all . . . what should I do
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I am sorry to hear that your dog is not feeling well this evening.

First, can you take your dog's temperature? Is it normal now? Normal rectal temperature for a dog is 100.5 to 102.5 degrees.

If he is still hot, you can put him in front of a fan and lay a wet towel over his body. Do not get his fur wet or try to bathe him in cold water, this will send him into shock.

If he is colder than normal, you can wrap him in a blanket to help warm him, but do not use a heating pad as this can cause burns.

What color are his gums? They should be medium pink, not pale or red. If they are pale or red, that is an indication that he is very sick and you may need to take him to the local animal ER this evening.

The best way to treat vomiting at home is to do the following-

-First take away the water. Dogs will often drink excessively after vomiting and this will only irritate their stomachs more. A dog should stop vomiting fairly quickly once you remove the water. Once they are done vomiting for 4 hours, you can offer very small (1/2 cup) amounts of water once every 30 minutes for the rest of the evening.

-If the night is quiet after just having small sips of water, you can offer a bland diet in the morning such as boiled chicken and rice.

You will need to take your dog to the local animal emergency room this evening if you see any of the following symptoms-

Continued vomiting even after you remove the water

Dry heaving

Distended or painful abdomen

Vomit with blood

Diarrhea with blood

You will need to take your dog to your regular vet in the morning if they don’t want to eat or drink or if they develop diarrhea.

Does this help? Do you have any other questions?

Dr. Amanda

Kansas State University,

College of Veterinary Medicine Class of 2001

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

How is your dog feeling now? Is his energy level getting back to normal? Do you have any more questions?

Dr. A

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

How is your dog this evening? Is he back to his normal self today? Do you have any more questions for me?

If you are satisfied with my assistance, please take a moment to use the stars at the top of the page to rate my answer so that I will be compensated for helping you today. For future questions, you can find me here: http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=88695179&FID=0

Best regards,

Dr. Amanda