Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian
88695179

My name is ***** *****. My dog is 6 years old, pitt/boxer

Customer Question

Customer: Hi my name is ***** *****. My dog is 6 years old, pitt/boxer mix. He has been dripping water from his mouth today.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: So he is a rescue w/ anxiety and we had a guest today. He was overly excited and to help him relax I had the guest give him cheese and bread. Two hours later & after the visit he started dripping.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I am sorry to hear that your dog is drooling this evening. Thank you for being patient waiting for a response, there are numerous questions this evening. Is he still drooling now?

Drooling can be related to a few different things:

The first would be nausea. Does he normally eat bread and cheese? Could there be anything else that he ate that upset his stomach such as a bug or other human food? If this happens again, you can try giving him Pepcid (over the counter). The dose is about 0.5mg per pound, so a 60 pound dog would take 30mg. Also watch out for vomiting or diarrhea as some dogs will drool before one of these problems as well.

Another cause of nausea is something very foul tasting in the mouth. I see this commonly with dogs that eat toads, but I know they probably aren't out this time of year. Stink bugs, some plants and some chemicals can also do the same thing. Helping the dog rinse their mouth by pointing their nose downward and squirting water in the side of the cheek can help.

Lastly, I have seen some dogs drool from anxiety and nervousness. This is more difficult to diagnose, so I would watch him closely to see if there is a pattern with activities that make him anxious (visitors, vet visits, storms, etc).

Does this help? Do you have any more questions?

Dr. Amanda

Kansas State University,

College of Veterinary Medicine Class of 2001

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

How is your dog? Any more drooling? Do you have any more questions?

Dr. A

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

How is your dog this evening? Any more drooling? Do you have any more questions for me?

If you are satisfied with my assistance, please take a moment to use the stars at the top of the page to rate my answer so that I will be compensated for helping you today. For future questions, you can find me here: http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=88695179&FID=0

Best regards,

Dr. Amanda